Sunday, May 31, 2009

Internet Bullying-Crimestoppers???


Has anyone noticed the new ads on TV re internet bullying? They are asking children to report any incidences of internet bullying to crimestoppers? I know internet bullying is a serious issue and one that as parents we need to stop- but crime stoppers? I was shocked. I think as parents we need to teach our children as soon as they start using the computer or cell phone that all of their actions can be tracked, that writing mean things to people over the internet or texting is a crime that can be punished by the police. Tell the real stories that you have heard about. I know that when my oldest son was in grade 8 a few years ago, a girl in his class was charged with internet bullying. She was a nice girl, who tended to be a leader. She did have a few incidents with manipulating and making others follow her lead- but basically she was a good kid from a nice family. Anyway the case went to court and she ended with community service. I was naive to this prior to that. I figured it was an issue that would be dealt with between parents. Now they are advertising to go straight to crimestoppers. Computer proof your preteens and teens!

No comments:

Post a Comment