Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Teen Pregnancy


I was speaking with a local doctor who mentioned that the rates of teen pregnancy are very high in my town. So I asked Jimmy and Matts about it? Do they know anyone at highschool who is pregnant? "yeah, last year both Carrie and Courtney had babies last year. St. J's finest....." I asked who the fathers were. "I dunno know" How can you not know, this would have been major gossip when I was in school. "No one cares, Mom". Wow. No significant stigma attached to teen pregnancy. Maybe the fathers don't even know. Maybe it is easier for the girl's families to just deal with it on their own. Anyway it gave me the opportunity to talk about never leaving the responsibility of birth control in the girl's hands and consequences for those poor girls and the fathers and respective families.

No comments:

Post a Comment